Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hello Funk.

Hello and welcome. We're not ones for long, overblown mission statements, so this will be kept brief. This blog is a humble homage to all things funky. Be it disco, funk, boogie, Latin jazz, or hip hop, or anything else for that matter. Be it old or new. We have but one test: when the groove hits, you close your eyes for a second and think, "Oooh damn." Pass.
Let's begin.

What better way to kick things off than by showing some love to our namesake, Instant Funk.

Hailing from Trenton, NJ, the group started out backing up a local group, the TNJs in the mid-60s. It was at this time that they were dubbed "Instant Funk" in response to their ability to create searingly funky grooves instantaneously. Over the years they played with Bunny Sigler, the O'jays, and Evelyn Champagne King, among many, many others.

In 1978, the time had come to put out a song of their very own, which was none other than "I Got My Mind Made Up." Initially, their efforts were rebuked with responses that "the hook isn't strong enough" or "it sounds incomplete." For those of you who are keeping track, here's yet another example of the fact that record execs don't know jack shit. Of course the song was eventually released and went on to sell millions, holding the #1 spot in the r&b charts for 3 weeks and hitting #20 on the billboard pop charts. The group went on to release multiple albums on the legendary Salsoul label. After the label folded in 1984, Instant Funk continued touring for a few years and eventually disbanded.


In closing, I would like to share a personal anecdote.

One day I was driving home, jamming the f' out to the local old school radio station, Magic 92.5 (big ups Rico and DJ 2Rille) and I heard this ridiculously funky song. One of those songs that you shouldn't listen to while driving. Forget phone handsets, the real danger is obscenely funky grooves that make my overexcited fool ass dance in my car. Damn near danced my way into a median, that's just how funky this joint was. I knew I needed to have this song in my life. So 45 minutes and one Myspace bulletin later I finally get through to the station... I think you see where this is going. Without further adieu:



DOWNLOAD



Another jam from the same album, entitled "I'll be Doggone." Ooooooh weeeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment